WIAMan Technology Demonstrator Codes

Suggestions for new codes
tegtmeyerm
Company: US DoD

WIAMan Technology Demonstrator Codes

Post by tegtmeyerm »

Colleagues,

Please see attached the proposed codes assigned to the WIAMan 50-th percentile, under-body blast test dummy currently under development by the US Army Research Laboratory. The current hardware is considered a technology demonstrator and further refinement to the design and installed instrumentation will continue for several more years. It is however undergoing active testing and the codes listed are currently being applied by project participants. Any input and suggestions regarding misapplication, conflicts with other codes, or best-practices would be greatly appreciated with the hope that the resulting codes for this dummy could be incorporated into a future 13499 release.

Thank you,
Michael Tegtmeyer
US Army Research Laboratory
Attachments
ARL-TR-7619.pdf
(477.89 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
DiVe
Company: IAT mbh

Re: WIAMan Technology Demonstrator Codes

Post by DiVe »

Dear Mr. Tegtmeyer,
thank you for the proposed document. I realized that you applied the principles
of the "ISO MME" coding approach very well for your Dummy project.

Please find some comments in the attached copy of your document. For
some location you have build a sensible code, but I would propose to use the
historic coding you will find for the same measurement locations on the current dummies.

To add the codes, we need to decide on the FL3 code for the Dummy. What stand "DM" for?
Actually the DM is just "sold out" for a barrier face:
http://www.iso-mme.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=491

Please find attached a list of the currenty used FL3 codes.

Could you already supply some pictures and or figures of this dummy. Also it would be important for us,
that this will be a dummy used in some kind of procedure for technical approval of differnet labs.
That is a base requirement to have this dummy in the official database. In my business I have seen that
in military blast tests often the "standard" Hybrid III 50th and also the ES-2 side impact summies are used.
Is your dummy intended as a replacement or successor for these applications?

Kind regards,
Dirk Vetter
Attachments
ARL-TR-7619_Comments_DiVe.pdf
(471.7 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
FL3 Codes.pdf
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
stevemoss
Company: DTS

Post by stevemoss »

Forum Members
I wanted to give you an update on the development of the WIAMan (Male 50th %ile Warrior Injury Assessment Manikin), the ATD for use in Military Vehicle Underbody Blast Tests. There are now a total of seven WIAMan ATDs in existence, two at the original Technical Demonstrator, and five at the Gen1 Design level. The Gen1 versions have seen over 800 tests since delivery in July 2017, and injury assessment reference value testing is continuing.

The US Government is issuing a procurement contract for up to an additional forty WIAMan ATDs as referenced here (user registration may be required):
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... e&_cview=1

The WIAMan is to replace the Hybrid III 50th in Underbody Blast Tests at the US Army, with possible replacement in the NATO STANAG Test Protocols.

There is additional biomechanical testing underway to develop biofidelity for a 5th Female version.

FL3 Codes
I would like to request two FL3 codes for the manikin:

WA - WIAMan 50th Male
WB - WIAMan 5th Female

Your comments on the original channel code proposal are under review, and we will submit a revised code proposal shortly.

Thank you.
Attachments
WIAManWhiteBackground.jpg
WIAManWhiteBackground.jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 7552 times
WG1- 4onBench.jpg
WG1- 4onBench.jpg (397.64 KiB) Viewed 7552 times
DiVe

Post by DiVe »

Dear Steve,

thank you very much for the update and the images.

I have reviewed quickly my last comments (from 2016...) on the coding.
Most comments are related to the usual coding according to current dummies
for some measurements.
Your coding proposals are in principal correct and sometimes even more precise
than the "typical" ones.
Nevertheless I expect it will be easier for dummy experts to find the measurements
based on the typical coding.

We have scheduled the next ISO MME task force meeting at the 26th of September (14:00 CET).
We will discuss your proposal for WA (50th) and WB (5th) on this meeting.

If there will be a 95th in the future, I guess this will be coded WC?

Kind regards,
Dirk
stevemoss
Company: DTS

Post by stevemoss »

Dirk,
Thank you for the reply.

While there is no work underway for a 95th WIAMan, it is possible one will be developed in the future.
We would like to reserve WC for WIAMan 95th if that is acceptable.

We are preparing responses to your comments one by one, but I believe the US Army would prefer to use the more 'precise' codes in general.
There is a lot of test data already generated with these codes. Perhaps this is not too much of an issue because there is little overlap between the automotive and military applications.

Regards
Steve Moss
DiVe

Post by DiVe »

Dear colleagues,
I have reserved/added the Fine Location 3 codes for the WIAMan dummies in the database:
Codes_WA,WB,WC.png
Codes_WA,WB,WC.png (6.03 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
As soon as the proposed codes are finally discussed by the requesting party, we can
start to introduce the codes in the Possible Channel table and to create the figures.

As requested below, we will appreciate some guidance on the "Standard Instrumentation".

Kind regards,
Dirk

Return to “Additional codes”