Proposed codes

current status of the coding for the THOR dummy
Paul Wellicome
Company: HORIBA MIRA Ltd

Proposed codes

Post by Paul Wellicome »

Here is the current status to the coding for the THOR dummy.

Dirk amalgamated his original information with the information/proposal from Mr Rings for the coding of the THOR-NT.

Any recommendations are, as always, welcome.
Attachments
THOR_ISO-Codes_IAT.xls
proposed codes for THOR dummy
(448.5 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
DiVe
Company: IAT mbh

"NT" and "FT" to be used until offical THOR

Post by DiVe »

The following is a statement from the ISO MME Task Force from the March 2008 Meeting:

For the THOR Dummy there are two variants existing: Thor-NT (FL3=NT) and THOR_FT (FL3=FT). Moreover there is a Fine Location 3 code for the THOR dummy "TH". In the proposal to be found in this forum for THOR coding the measurements found on both dummies have been given as "TH" and the specific measurements for the NT and FT variant with the "FT" and "NT". To follow the directive in a) the codings has to be unique for one dummy FL3 part. Therefore all codes must be used with "FT" or "NT". As soon as there might be a future compromise to design one THOR dummy out of the variants or to reject one variant then "TH" will be used instead for the THOR dummy.
DiVe

Re: Proposed codes

Post by DiVe »

Dear colleagues,

it seems that there will be finally just one THOR design followed by NHTSA.
To bring the THOR coding discussion back to life please find attached my latest status for the measurements and coding.
Especially the real instrumentation in the Thorax and Abdomen with the corresponding 1D, 2D or 3D measurements will be interesting.
2011_06_26_THOR_ISO-Codes_IAT.zip
(35.1 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
Kind regards,
Dirk Vetter
dparent
Company: NHTSA

Post by dparent »

Dirk,

In general, I'm in agreement with most of these codes. There is also some new instrumentation* that I've taken the liberty of adding to the list with my best guess at what the codes should be (see attachment; I wasn't sure what was easiest for you, so I added these channels in red font and also added them in a new sheet "NewCodes").

*More information on the new instrumentation can be found in this paper:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/es ... 000312.pdf

I've also added several comments to the file, but I will repeat them here in case a discussion is warranted.

1) For the head nine-accelerometer package (NAP), "Head Top Acceleration Z" should be "Head Rear Acceleration Z". Also, I would prefer "UP" instead of "TP".
2) The face load cell names are not intuitive (FB vs. MX vs. MB). If there's any way that the LE/RI, UP/MI/LO nomenclature can be retained, that would be ideal.
3) I'm not sure if it exists, but a F1 = "OC" should be used for the Head/Neck Angle Y (currently ??HEAD0000THANY?), and this should be available for both the HEAD and NECK main locations. The reason for this is that the calculated outputs for the neck (which I haven't assembled in ISO-MME format yet) can be output in either the HEAD or NECK coordinate system at the location of the OC.
4) For the chest CG accelerometers, main location of CHST is preferred
5) For the thoracic deflection measurements, I'm curious why CHST is used and not CHRI. Since this thoracic deflection is being measured between the ribs and the spine, I would argue that CHRI should be used. Is there a conflict that's preventing the use of CHRI?
6) The IR-TRACC "Thorax Deflection [Left/Right] [Upper/Lower] X" comment is not entirely true - the output from the linearization module would provide a linearized measurement of the IR-TRACC displacement along the axis of the IR-TRACC tube, not necessarily along the dummy X-axis. So, I would say that DS0 could be output from the linearization module, but not necessarily DSX.
7) For the IR-TRACC rotational potentiometers (and all potentiometers in this dummy, actually), consider using Degrees instead of Radians, since the calibration sheets on this instrumentation usually provide sensitivities in mV/V/deg.
8 ) Is it possible to retain the CRUX (thorax) and DGSP (abdomen) codes from the THOR-NT dummy? That way, even older versions of the dummy would still have a representation, which would aid in retrospective processing of THOR-NT and THOR-Alpha data. There are no conflicts in the ISO-MME names, so the user (or script) will know right away whether a CRUX or IR-TRACC system is being used.
9) The most updated version of THOR does not have an upper abdomen string potentiometer or IR-TRACC.

Thanks in advance for considering this feedback!

- Dan
Attachments
2011_06_26_THOR_ISO-Codes_IAT_dp.xls
(465 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
DiVe

Post by DiVe »

Dear colleagues,

please find enclodes the reviewed list, based on the PDB list and the list of Dan Parent.
I have also checked a recent list from Humanetics on the instrumentation options for the THOR.

Kind regrads,
Dirk
Attachments
2014_09_26_Sensor-List_CG+Humanetics_DiVe.zip
Current coding list with comments and points of discussion
(16.36 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
DiVe

Post by DiVe »

Dear Colleagues,
as discussed on the last Metting (2015-04-15) I have updated the Excel List with the current coding proposal.
Please find the List attached.
Any comments are welcome.
Bye,
Dirk
Attachments
2015_04_15_IAT.zip
(17.23 KiB) Downloaded 887 times
tomas.lahoz
Company: Applus+ IDIADA

Post by tomas.lahoz »

Dear colleagues,

After reading a bit the draft of Thor user manual, I have the feeling that ISO codes for the IR-TRACC rotation in Y aren't 100% correct. If I've understood it correctly, the rotator sensor isn't fixed in the Y axis, its axis changes with the rotation in Z axis (if angle Z was 90º rotator 'Y' would rotate over X axis).

Shouldn't we differentiate this 'mobing' axis with reference Y one?
DiVe

Post by DiVe »

Dear Thomas,
in principle you are right that the Axis is moving relative to the spine coordinate system. As the Y-pot is mounted to the spine,
I would state that the Z-Rotation axis is moving!?
IRTRACC-Rotation Axis.png
IRTRACC-Rotation Axis.png (134.96 KiB) Viewed 14399 times
Nevertheless the initial orientation is in Z direction when the device is set up/inspected in the Zero Bracket.
So the naming gives a good correlation to the "normal" position/orientation when handling the dummy.
Also there is no good alternative in my opinion.
If we will use a "special" coding for the Z axis it will raise confusion to the users.

Bye,
Dirk

Return to “Codes for THOR dummy”