Hydrogen concentration new Physical Unit and Hydrogen/Helium identification

Suggestions for new codes
Miguel A Gallego
Company: Applus IDIADA Group

Hydrogen concentration new Physical Unit and Hydrogen/Helium identification

Post by Miguel A Gallego »

Dear all,

Hydrogen regulations UN R.153 and ECE R.134 among others request measuring Hydrogen or Helium Concentration during vehicle crash test. The physical units now available in the database do not contemplate the concentration (%) as unit.

- I propose the use of "CO" for gas concentration and % as its unit

We will also need to define whether the gas used is Helium or Hydrogen. I propose create new fine locations to define the gas used. My proposal would be to use fine location 1:

- Hydrogen: H2 is my favorite but is already used in fine location 3 for Hybrid 2 dummy and I am not sure if we can use it in FL1 for other purpose. If not posible HY could be a good option too

- Helium: HE is my favorite but again is used in FL3 for Headform. If usign HE were not possible, HL could be a good alternative.

Best regards

Miguel Ángel
Miguel A Gallego
Company: Applus IDIADA Group

Re: Hydrogen concentration new Physical Unit and Hydrogen/Helium identification

Post by Miguel A Gallego »

Dear all,

As agreed, the final proposal would be:

- A new physical unit must be created. The coding "VC" is the proposed (Volume Concentration) and its unit will be "1". For example, a 4% of gas concentration would be 0.04.

- The main gases used in Passive Safety testing are Hydrogen and Helium. These two gases are the only ones allowed by the regulations (UN R.153, ECE R.134). So that, a new coding has been agreed to be used in FL3 for those two gases:

o Hydrogen would be "HY"
o Helium would be "HL"
o Other gases as Nitrogen, etc. could be also used for development purposes. If so, would not be the need for specific gas coding, and "00" would be used in FL3 in case the gas concentration is measured. The exact type of gas could by defined in the description or in the MME header.

If other approaches are not presented, the proposal detailed above will be validated in the next MME Task Force Meeting.

Thank's and best regards

Miguel A. Gallego

Return to “Additional codes”